Sunday, November 13, 2011

LOLCats

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/05/15/funny-pictures-cuz-of-catnip-addicshun/#top

I found this iteration of LOLcats interesting. It is rare to find an iteration of this meme that is controversial even in the slightest way, but I feel like this brings up a few controversial issues. Many of the comments on other strands of this iteration talk about how it could possibly be offensive because not all people the live below the poverty line have drug problems.

2 comments:

  1. I think the picture's funny and I can see how people might find it offensive, but I think they're being a bit overdramatic. To assume that one poor cat speaks for them all reflects an assumption that all poor people are poor for the same reasons as well, which is obviously not true. I suppose this is all just an example of how an unintended audience can misread a text, which is an especially common occurrence in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great analyzation of this text. I guess you took it as far as it can go. I found this hilarious, but then again, you're correct about blaming poverty on one particular cause.

    ReplyDelete